FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE EUROPEAN UNION TO ACTIVITIES OF THE UNITED NATIONS 2000-2011
Source: European Commission 2012. Refers to funds from EuropeAid and ECHO
In 2011, the EU member states provided 40% of the funding for UN peacekeeping operations and 38% of the UN’s regular budget as well as about one half of all UN member state contributions to UN funds and programmes.
THEMATIC BREAKDOWN OF EUROPEAN UNION CONTRIBUTIONS TO UNITED NATIONS ACTIVITIES IN 2011
- Humanitarian assistance and Emergency relief
- Governance, Rule of Law, Access to Justice, Security
- Essential Services (Health, Education, Water and Sanitation)
- Sustainable Livelihoods: Socioeconomic Development, Food Security, Rural Development, Agriculture
- Crisis and Conflict Prevention and Recovery, Disaster Risk Reduction
- Environment, Natural Resources Management, Sustainable Energy
- Human Rights and International Standards
Includes financial contributions from ECHO and EuropeAid in 2011 only.
Source: United Nations Brussels office derived from European Commission and UN data, 2011.
Since 2004, a single financial and administrative framework agreement (FAFA) between the UN and the EU facilitates cooperation and improves the efficiency of the aid delivered.
TOP 10 COUNTRIES IN TERMS OF EU FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS TO UN ACTIVITIES IN 2011
Does not include UN regional programmes funded by the European Commission. Covers only agreements signed in 2011. Contributions to oPt cover the West Bank and Gaza, and support provided to Palestine refugees in Lebanon, Syria and Jordan. Source: European Commission 2012